You buy recycled products, green household cleaners and do your best to separate recyclables from trash. You’re an earth-friendly superstar helping our planet one egg carton at a time. So how can you do more to ensure you’re reducing your carbon footprint and helping out the environment?
One of the biggest day-to-day chores that causes a major negative impact on our planet is washing our clothes. Doing laundry is a necessity, however, there are some small things you can do to limit water pollution, energy use and launder “safer” for our planet. Follow these tips and tricks to continue on your green living journey.
Use concentrated detergent that comes in recyclable packagingBetter Life’s Dirt-Demolishing Laundry Detergent is 4x as concentrated and never uses ingredients such as; ethoxylates, synthetic fragrances, chlorine or bleach. All of these ingredients can be harmful to the environment when dumped back into our water sources after washing. You can also recycle the container once it's empty and buying in bulk will reduce the amount of bottles you have to recycle.
Wash delicates by handSave money, and energy by washing delicate items by hand. This can also help improve the lifecycle of your garments. Using a dry rack or line drying clothes can also help save energy and make your clothes last longer. Best part, Better Life’s Dirt-Demolishing Laundry Detergent can be used to launder hand washed clothing! Use a little bit and extend the life of your delicates.
Remove lintIf you use the dryer, clean the lint trap before starting your dry cycle. Dryer lint build-up can restrict airflow and cause poor dryer performance. With a dirty lint trap, your clothes will take longer to dry — and use more energy.
Brighten whites with lemons For a natural whitening solution, skip the bleach and use lemons instead! This technique is best for "white" cotton and polyester material and not recommended for silk clothing. Important: It's possible to over-bleach using lemon juice, so be sure to find exact directions from an expert.
Wash in cold waterAccording to Energy Star, almost 90% of the energy consumed by a washing machine goes to heating water. Switching from hot or warm water to cold water washing, saves that energy. In fact, each household that makes the switch to cold-water washing eliminates about 1,600 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions a year.
Nest is your Better Life Retailer!
I love FALL! It's the best time of year to preserve summers fresh fruit and veggies to get you through until Spring. Nest isn't only an awesome place to get everything kitchen but also everything canning.
We have canning kits, jars, funnels, labels, mashing tools and more.
Here is a fun recipe I found at www.foodinjars.com:
Small Batch Strawberry Plum Jam
Yield: Makes 3 half pints
First, let's agree that anything that makes feeding our kids easier, faster, or smarter should automatically get a pass on guilty feelings. Lunch box shortcuts help us make the make the most of lunch packing so that we can be less stressed and actually spend more time with our kids. Having packed over 1,200 hundred lunches from preschool to now kindergarten, I have tried almost every hack, shortcut, and tip for packing lunches, and these are the products worth the cost for getting lunches packed more quickly — while still making them wholesome and delicious.
There are some essential grocery items that make lunch packing easier and faster, but they are also your typical pantry staples that should almost always be in your grocery cart. Below are my favorite shortcuts that help on busy weeks, beyond the staples.
Get your grocery list here: The Essential School Lunch Grocery List
1. FlatbreadsPita, naan, or even actual flatbread are a fine substitute for sandwich bread, but they can also be a blank canvas for pizzas and transform into crisp crackers you pack with dip.
2. Frozen Waffles, I probably throw breakfast-for-lunch in lunch boxes once a week. Some weeks its hard-boiled eggs and bacon, but in a pinch I add frozen waffles right to a lunch box and they thaw before lunch. Run out of sandwich bread and flatbread? Waffles to the rescue!
Find your fave: Frozen Waffle Taste Test: We Tried 6 Brands
3. Frozen Peas and CornOn the mornings where lunch packing is particularly harried, I pour frozen peas or corn into lunch box compartments. They thaw quickly, require zero prep work, and both my kids will eat them.
4. HummusI love homemade hummus, I really do, but those proportioned cups of hummus have saved me so much snack packing time! Plus, when dipping is the name of the lunch game, proportioned hummus is neatly contained until its time to eat.
5. Packaged MeatballsThis is a rather recent addition to my lunch shortcut rotation. Whether you choose frozen or fresh packed (think: those packaged near hotdogs like Aidell's) pre-cooked meatballs are flavorful, fun, and already portioned for packing.
6. Chicken NuggetsStick a few in the toaster oven while you make coffee, pack snacks, eat breakfast in the morning, and then pack them in a thermos. You'll basically be a hero in your kids' eyes.
Orginal Post: http://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-products-for-no-guilt-lunchbox-shortcuts-247241
To pack their lunches Nest has a great selection of cool new Scout lunch bags and cool to-go containers like this one.
Need a place for veggies and dip? Try our snack-to-go.
WÜSTHOF'S best-selling collection for generations, CLASSIC full-tang knives are precision-forged from a single piece of an exclusive high-carbon stainless steel. CLASSIC knives feature a new handle design made of a highly durable synthetic material – Polyoxymethylene (POM) – which has a tighter molecular structure to resist fading and discoloration. The CLASSIC 8" Cook's Knife is the work horse of the kitchen, or the essential kitchen knife. The cook’s knife is an indispensable all-purpose kitchen knife that can be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing. Due to the weight and balance of the knife, it is also perfect for heavy duty work such as cutting thicker vegetables and meats.
And these are the special features of our knives:
Nest is your Wusthof retailer!
Nest is everything kitchen and coffee, We love what we do and want to share our passion. Nest is the place you call home.